The kettlebell, a lump of metal with a handle, is a tool that was originally used in Russia and Eastern Europe as a measure of weight of goods.
Now they are popular exercise equipment that offers lots of benefits and exciting programmes, providing a great range of exercises with just one tool. Below are a few reasons why I think kettlebells are a great workout option.
- Kettlebells are cheap to buy and for your own training not many are required. Those that you do use will not take up much space in your home or gym.
- The movement pattern is more functional and natural than barbells or machines. The whole body is engaged in moving the weight, which involves balance, coordination and the cardio vascular system.
- When correctly used, kettlebell training can help with back pain and should instability/mobility. If you spend a lot of time sitting (for example in an office) kettlebell training will help you to stand tall as a lot of the techniques engage the back and shoulder muscles, which will help to reduce slouching.
- They are great to use as a part of different training methods like HIIT, Tabata or just strength training – these bells can get you exhausted in minutes.
- Building overall strength rapidly. As kettlebell workouts involve the whole body you can quickly see improvements in strength, not just for specific muscle groups but also for the core and overall strength. This makes kettlebell training a superb tool for athletes as well as anyone who is looking to get fit.
If you have never tried kettlebells I urge you to give it a go as it is a great way to have interesting workouts with notable health benefits. Who knows, you might like it!